Book 2 Post 2
I chose the book The Wayfinders by Wade Davis for my second book. In my first post, I wrote about how Davis structured his book in a way that is intriguing to readers. I pointed out the Mahatma Gandhi quote that started chapter 1 and some chapter titles like "Season of the Brown Hyena" and "Century of the Wind" as examples of book structure that made it interesting.
As I read further, I found another interesting quote: "“In the West, time is like gold. You save it, you lose it, you waste it, or you don’t have enough of it. In the Barasana language there is no word for time.” In The Wayfinders, Wade Davis wants to highlight how different cultures around the world approach life differently. I found this quote profound because it tied to something I saw recently that is an entirely new addition to this context: AI. I recently saw a ChatGPT response to a command about creating a new language that highlighted a certain fictional language where there was no concept of time and was instead focused on how humans feelings and emotions were relayed. It's interesting that that approach already exists elsewhere in the world while to most of us in America, a language with no concept of time sounds almost impossible.
I enjoyed The Wayfinders and its lessons on how cultures vary around the world. I think it's incredibly valuable to understand that there are so many unique perspectives, traditions, and cultures in populations around the world and I think this book does a good job of highlighting that.
Hi Atul!
ReplyDeleteI also read The Wayfinders for this assignment. I like the quotes you chose to pick out; I thought Davis' writing was scattered with interesting and though-provoking quotes that I highlighted.
- Lieza
Hi Atul! I really enjoyed reading your post! This book was a very popular choice and it sounds like a very interesting and impactful book. I think it is really cool how it discusses various cultures around the world and the lessons. I agree that it is valuable to understand that there are so many unique perspectives, traditions, and cultures around the world so I will definitely have to read this soon! Good work!
ReplyDeleteHi Atul, I really enjoyed reading your post! I loved that you choose to highlight specific part of the book that really spoke to you. Because I didn't read the book, it really helped me get a better sense of the main message and takeaways. Great post!
ReplyDeleteHi Atul, thank you for your post! The quote that you shared and your connection with it to ChatGPT is super insightful. I also loved learning about all the unique approaches to life from different cultures—and I hope the western world becomes more open to accepting them.
ReplyDeleteHi Atul, great post! I didn't read Wayfinders, but loved reading your take on the book. I think it's extremely fascinating how different cultural approaches to life can be reflected in a culture's language. This is one of the reasons why I find linguistic studies so intriguing! It's interesting to think about the possibilities of a future AI-generated language that focuses on human emotions.
ReplyDeleteHey Atul. My favorite part about your post was your quote on how different cultures may perceive life differently. And this ties into the author's point of how cultures and lessons around the world are so different from each other and that we should appreciate people's differences.
ReplyDeleteHi Atul! I really enjoyed reading your post. This is not the book that I read but I think it is very interesting how you tied it up to something so new like ChatGPT. It certainly sounds like a very good book with an amazing topic. great post!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed how you incorporated how ChatGPT is making linguist strides when in reality these have existed in languages of the indigenous for many many years. It just also goes to prove that ancient knowledge will always be drawn upon for anything that is going to come in the future - a point the book was also trying to prove.
ReplyDeleteAtul, I like that you focused on the quotes David had throughout his book. It is not something I took particular note of, but after reading your post I think I should've. Especially this quote: "“In the West, time is like gold. You save it, you lose it, you waste it, or you don’t have enough of it. In the Barasana language there is no word for time.” because I feel like our culture is obsessed with time. Especially never having enough of it. Maybe the key to having all the time in the world is to stop being so obsessive about it.
ReplyDelete