Book 2 Post 1
For my second book, I chose The Wayfinders by Wade Davis. I thought that Wade Davis' background as an Explorer-in-Residence at the National Geographic Society was interesting and led me to take a look at the book. The first page starts with a quote from Mahatma Gandhi: "I want all the cultures of all lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any." Davis uses that as starting point to delve deeper into what traveling provides as lessons about other cultures and how that can apply to individuals throughout the world. I enjoy travel a lot and so I think some of his thoughts on absorbing other cultures are insightful.
I found it interesting how Davis starts each chapter with a quote from someone else about the topic he wants to cover and then explores it in detail. Many of the people he quotes are well-known, adding to the intrigue. The names of his chapters, such as "Season of the Brown Hyena" and "Century of the Wind", are also interesting in that they don't really mean anything before you read the chapter but still draw the reader in further. I'm interested to see how this book progresses.
Comments
Post a Comment