Who You Are Matters

I come from a family of first-gen Americans building a life half-way across the world as their childhood.

I'd like to be a successful investor and then give back to better the communities that benefited me.

I'll get there by putting a lot of effort into being the best at what I do and not forgetting where I'm from.

One way I'm like my parents is that I'm super loyal and remain committed to things I want.

One way I'm not like my parents is that I'm a perfectionist.

I would say that I have developed the expectation for myself to hold myself to really high standard as I want to be able to build something in my life that lasts beyond me. Because of that, I would say I live under my own expectations and not others' expectations for me.

One model for me would be a family friend who is a couple years older than me. When I was super young, I would watch her strive to reach certain goals such as getting into certain programs and took that as a challenge for me to be able to do what she did. I'd mimic her passion but found my own unique areas of interest where I'd spend my time and effort.

One wild animal I feel a special connection with would be my neighbor's dog, Benny. I'm not a fan of pets but this dog in particular captivated my attention and got me to enjoy playing with dogs.

One significant childhood encounter with a plant would be the banana plants my family grew in our front yard. In my culture, fancy meals are often served on banana leaves and so I would eat on them mostly on special occasions.

Libra, Virgo, Pisces

Comments

  1. Hi Atul,
    I think that your goal of becoming a successful investor and then giving back is an amazing goal. I'd like to do something similar when I'm older. Also, it's great to hold yourself to a high standard as that's a great way to become successful and accomplish what you want to accomplish. I think that people who hold themselves to a lower standard do not become as successful as they do not "go for it" and work as hard. I look forward to getting to know you more this semester!
    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Atul,
    It is awesome that you want to become a successful investor and give back to better communities that benefited you! I also consider myself as being loyal, committed, and a perfectionist. Even though being a perfectionist can sometimes be frustrating and hard, I think it is a good thing because you push yourself to produce the best work possible. Just keep up the hard work and everything will work out! I look forward to getting to know you more in class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Atul, I'm a Libra too! I also suffer from perfectionism, but I definitely inherited that from my parents. I'm not sure they're aware of their own perfectionist tendencies, but it became "the norm" for me when I was growing up. I am also incredibly loyal and definitely hold myself to a high standard–perhaps not as high as you, though. Having the goal to to be able to build something in your life that lasts beyond you is an incredible thing to strive for, and in the least self-deprecating way possible that is WAY above the kind of goals I've set for myself!! Kudos to you and best of luck in accomplishing that goal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Atul! It's funny - we also had a banana tree back home and would serve food on them for special occasions. Not sure what they are called in your culture, but we call these meals boodle fights. Also, I remember you talking to me about becoming a successful investor. I love that you hope to use this success to give back in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Atul, within your detailed response, I admire your aspiration to give back as a successful investor. After wanting to enter investment banking for years, I recently lost this ambition as those around me who wanted to enter IB didn't seem to care about making a lasting positive impact in investment, and I didn't align myself with the values of the field. You are one of the very few who does seem to care, and so I wish you not only to find success in IB, but also to hold on to your ambition to give back. It matters!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Atul! I think it's really amazing that you want to be an amazing investor to give back to the communities that saw you become the person you are today. I also liked how you mentioned how you do not want to forget where you come from. This is something I also take into account daily and something dear to my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Investing is something I really want to look into after being more established in the industry I choose to enter and I know that feeling of being able to give back and help people accomplish their dreams. I think its also a great way to keep busy and involve yourself in a variety of different industries which could be an interesting experience, but hard for a perfectionist as you would not have as much control on the everyday runnings on things.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment