Job Description
Venture Capitalist
Almost everybody uses Facebook, Google, or Amazon. These companies started in the last 30 years. They all needed the help of early investors to get started or grow. Movies like The Social Network show the process of founding a company like Facebook. They portray fictionalized accounts of the founders and their investors. But few people know what a Venture Capitalist (VC) is.
A Venture Capitalist is an investor that specializes in new companies. These companies often cannot get capital from other sources. Investing can refer to public stocks of Fortune 500 companies. Large tech companies often had the support of VCs when they were new.
The job of a VC mimics a couple of more well-known jobs: a Judge, Coach, and Curator.
Judge
Judges at a talent show or competition must do a couple of things that VCs do too:
• Watch performances
• Compare contestants
• Choose winners
VCs deal with companies instead of contestants. VCs listen to pitches from companies that discuss the problem they are solving. They also discuss whether their product is a good solution and whether they can grow in the market.
VCs compare contestants with previous winners and other contestants. VCs look at information about the market, financials, competitors, and more.
Finally, VCs need to pick winners. There are often a lot of good contestants in the competition. VCs can only invest in the best of the best. VCs spend a lot of time trying to choose the winners who can be successful in the future.
Coach
Once VCs choose a winner, VCs need to turn into coaches. Coaches help players win but are not actually on the field. VCs help startups but do not run them day-to-day. VCs do that in a couple of ways:
• Help the winners get recognition
• Work with the winners to make them successful
• Match the winners with others who can help them
The game does not end when a company gets an investment from VCs. The company needs to use the money to grow and build a valuable business. VCs work with our companies to help them get recognized where it matters. VCs help with public relations and finding possible customers.
VCs also need to help our companies be successful in the market. VCs help founders with making difficult decisions. Founders price their offerings, hire new employees, or design their products.
As a coach, you introduce your players to the support staff who help them to succeed. VCs introduce our companies to advisors, customers, and possible hires.
Curator
Curators of artwork must think as VCs do. Like curators, VCs must:
• Choose artwork that fits together
• Make sure that the artwork fits the requirements
• Plan for artwork strategy long-term
Most museums can’t have random pieces of artwork unrelated to each other. VCs don’t invest in random assets that are not related. VCs generally only invest in early-stage companies (although there are caveats).
VCs have areas in which they focus on investing. Curators ensure the artwork they choose fits the museum.
Another aspect of investing is the idea of portfolio construction. A fund with many investments needs to structure its portfolio to optimize returns.
Flesch Reading Score: 61.5
Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level: 7.3
Hey Atul, I really enjoyed your job description post! Venture Capitalist is one of those jobs that are often name dropped, but truthfully, I didn't know exactly what they do. Your comparisons to a judge, coach, and curator made a seemingly complicated job surprisingly digestible and easy to understand. I also liked how you referenced The Social Network—I think it was very culturally relatable.
ReplyDeleteHi Atul! I really appreciated your job description post. I specifically liked your beginning, it caught my attention. I really enjoyed your depictions of what a venture capitalist is. If someone had not known what the position is, your descriptions were perfect and I could fully grasp and visualize what the role and purpose of the job is. I also really admired how you breaking down the role into more "well-known jobs". You also gave reasons as to why these well-known jobs were important which helped me understanding.
ReplyDeleteHi Atul!
ReplyDeleteI thought your description for a venture capitalist was great and pretty easy to understand. Relating a VC to a judge, coach, and art curator really made this post a breeze to read. Good job! This is just nitpicking, but I would advise you to maybe elaborate more on the very last part of your paper (about portfolio construction) since that was just very briefly introduced. What is a portfolio? How should it be constructed? Maybe something like that. But overall, great work!
- Lieza
Hi Atul,
ReplyDeleteI am going to have to agree with our other classmates, your job description was very good and easy to understand. I loved how well put together your examples were, it made it so much better to understand what a venture capitalist actually does. Overall great job, can't wait to read more of you work!
Hi Atul,
ReplyDeleteI really like how you break down the role of a venture capitalist in a way that is easy to understand. The three other roles you picked to compare—judge, coach, and curator—help me get a better sense of what a venture capitalist does. Specifically, I like the three points underneath "coach" that you use to break down the role. One thing I would suggest in order to improve is to maybe use white space a little more sparingly so it has a greater effect when you do use it. Overall, great job!
Ryan
Hi Atul!
ReplyDeleteReally enjoyed reading your blog post. I've always been curious about exactly what venture capitalists did besides finding small businesses to invest in. I liked the way you presented the job description of this profession as analogies, comparing it to more common jobs like judge, coach, and curator. Before reading your post I had a very vague idea of venture capitalism as a profession, though now the career has certainly piqued my interest!
Hi Atul, I really enjoyed reading you job description. I personally did not know much about venture capitalist and this really gave me a better understanding. I enjoyed your use of examples and metaphors because it was easy for me to understand each role of a VC! Overall great job on this assignment!
ReplyDeleteHey Atul! Loved how you described the job of a venture capitalist - definitely makes it seem more interesting than I previously thought. I especially loved the comparison to a Curator, it makes the job of a VC seem like a creative job, not just a systematic one.
ReplyDelete